Saturday, February 28, 2015

Video Analysis Revealing

Since using PlaySight, I've identified a couple of problems that I didn't understand until now.  One has been the long standing problem with my swing, particularly the backswing.  I watched myself on the videos on more than 5 occasions and with Frank's feedback I watched the pro's videos on SquashTV.  I watched Mohammad Alshorbagy and Nick Matthews.  They both have compact swings along with all the other contemporary pros.  What I used to believe was compact with my swing is actually not.  I believed wrongly that bending my elbow past 90 degrees made my swing compact, but instead, I compensated by throwing my elbow behind my shoulders.  I saw the pros extend their elbows slightly greater than 90 degrees, but kept their elbow in front of their shoulder.  The power comes from turning the torso and throwing the shoulder forward.  This swing lets me get behind the ball when it is very close to the back wall.  It also helps transfer my weight forward after I strike the ball.

The second problem the video identified is my lunge. I have been over lunging.  It's how I lunge for fencing, but it's all wrong for squash.  I can see in the video that a lunge of 90 degrees in my knee bend causes me to lose balance when I lean forward.  The pros can be seen clearly to take a long stride in their lunge and bend their knees only 45 degrees.  This requires stronger hamstrings, but in practice I can already feel improved balance.

All I need now is to integrate these into games and matches.  Back to the ghosting and solo drills...

No comments: